answering your questions on acupuncture
If you are new to Acupuncture, I understand that you might have some questions.
Below are the answers to the questions that are most commonly asked about acupuncture treatment. Should you have additional questions please feel free to contact me.
Q: What are the benefits of acupuncture?
A: Benefits of acupuncture may include:
- Pain relief
- Relaxation or sedation
- Immune enhancement
- Anti-inflammatory response
- Anti-allergic response
- Psychological response
- Decrease in muscle recovery time
- Homeostasis or regulatory effect
Q: What does a treatment feel like? Does it hurt?
A: When the needle is inserted into the skin, you may feel a slight sensation of pain similar to a mosquito bite. There may also be a feeling of numbness, heaviness, warmth, or slight pain in the affected area.
Q: Are there any complications of acupuncture?
A: Complications may include, but are not limited to:
- Pain - discomfort is usually minimal
- Bleeding - bleeding may occur occasionally upon the removal of the needle, and is generally limited to 1 or 2 drops
- Fainting - fainting or lightheadedness may occur before, during, or after the treatment; be sure to report these symptoms to your acupuncturist immediately
- Infection - the risk of infection is very rare, as only sterile, disposable needles of high quality surgical steel are used and the area to be treated is swabbed before insertion of the needle
- Pregnancy - treatment is not recommended in the first and third trimester
- Bruising - apply ice to the affected area
Q: When can I expect results? How many treatments will I need?
A: The number of treatments will vary with each individual and the condition being treated. Treatments usually last between 30-45 minutes. Relief may be immediate or within a few hours or a few days of treatment. Most patients notice an improvement after the first couple of treatments. If no improvement is experienced within 4-8 treatments, the overall changes expected may be minimal.
Q: What conditions can acupuncture be used to treat?
A: Acupuncture can be used to treat a variety of musculoskeletal problems such as muscle strains, sprains, bruising, swelling and others. I have had good results with low back discomfort and shoulder mobility issues. Ask me if you have questions regarding your specific condition.